Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Favorite Parts

I am on my way to spend a couple of nights in a friends village, decided to stop through and just write for a minute or two while I had the chance.

I love my life here, but If I had to say my favorite part of everyday, its the first two hours of every morning, I get out of bed, its winter now and im getting great use of my sleeping bag (thanks Aunt Judy), I get dressed, walk out of my concession, and head to a local tiny store, I have a cup of coffee with sweet milk and a fried bean breakfast treat that you eat with a locally made spice. I shoot the shit with some of the natives, joke around, buy everyone a little breakfast sometimes as is customary in Nigerien lifestyle, I am returned the favor many times over. After about an hour i walk down next to the Maigari's(local tribal leader) house to greet and sit with him and his brother who is a Malam(which is a leader in the mosque) and sit with some of the higher level(older) villagers and discuss local happenings, wedding, naming ceremonies of the day, then I carry water to my house with my best friend and we water my vegetable garden and tree farm. It is a simple life here, a great life.

Untill Next Time

- Ousmane


Books of the Week - African Friends and Money Matters, Gives great perspective on how we view money differently, and made me understand more about the Nigerien Lifestyle, should be a requirement before you serve in Africa, or come here to travel for that matter, and Water For Elephants, just a great fun easy read..loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Will saw you mention your blog on facebook last month. I look forward to your updates throughout 2010. Quite a project you've taken on, but something you'll never forget.

    I know the internet is a bitch, but it would be great to see some videos from your market, breakfast, meetings, just normal life.

    Keep it cool.

    ReplyDelete